If you plan to start your garden, the first thing you have to do is till your ground. Breaking through tightly packed soil types can be difficult, especially when using the wrong tiller. A rear tine tiller is the best option for you and your garden.
Rear tine tillers produce more power and dig deeper than regular tillers. It eliminates the stress of having to break your ground for long hours. There are so many rear tine tillers on the market, and finding the perfect one for your garden is not an easy task.
Luckily, with this review, we plan to help you get more informed on the best rear tine tillers available and their essential features. See also:
- Best Electric Tiller
- Best Gas Hedge Trimmers
- Best Garden Tillers
- Best Lawn Mowers For Small Yards
- Best Commercial Weed Eater
- Best Lawn Sweepers
What Is a Rear Tine Tiller
A rear-tine tiller is powered by an engine, and they produce more power than regular tillers. It is designed with rear tines that spin in the opposite direction of the wheel; these wheels can dig in a forward and counter-rotating motions. They give you full control over the depth regulators, and they operate quickly.
When To Use A Rear Tine Tiller
A rear tine tiller is the best tiller to use if you are working on large plots of land. They are more powerful and expensive than regular tillers. They break hard and rocky soils with ease and are ideal for uncultivated land. If you have a large garden
How To Use A Rear Tine Tiller
Make sure to clear out all the debris and rocks from the land, especially if it is an uncultivated piece of land
Turn on the tines
- Adjust the tilling depth of the tiller to suit your needs
- Set the tiller to drive mode and drive it in a straight line
- If it’s a tough ground, run the tiller over the entire bed again until the soil is completely separated
Benefits Of A Rear Tine Tiller
- They are heavier and more balanced than regular tillers and tend to dig deeper
- They usually come with reverse options so you can use the tiller in a forward and reverse motion
- They produce more power than the front-tine tillers
- They are ideal for difficult soil types
- They operate best when used in a straight line
- Tilling your ground before cultivating allows nutrients and oxygen to get into your soil. It breaks down weed and prepares the land for planting season. It is a great way to aerate the soil.
How To Get The Best Rear Your Tiller For Your Land
There are certain features you need to look out for before getting the perfect rear tine tiller. These features are listed below:
This is one of the first things to look out for when buying a rear tine tiller. Tines rotate in three different ways
- Counter Rotating Tines- These tines turn in the opposite direction of the wheels. They produce a lot of power to break hard soil types and require little or no effort.
- Standard Rotating Tines- These are also known as forward rotating tines. They move in the same direction as the tires. This is ideal for land that has been previously tilled.
- Dual Rotating Tines- This allows you to switch between the standard and counter-rotating tines on the same tiller.
This is another important factor to consider. Some tillers come with a forward and reverse gear; this makes it easier to turn the machine and re-till a particular area of land. Look out for tillers with reverse gear as this improves the motility and efficiency if the machine.
This helps to move the tiller and give it balance, especially on uneven terrain. Most rear tine tillers use pneumatic tires that don’t puncture and lose air. These tires are quite big and look like tractor tires; they firmly grip the ground and keep the tiller weel-balanced.
A tiller should be able to dig to a maximum of 11ft, which is deep enough to plant seeds. Look out for a rear tine tiller with adjustable depths to give you control over how deep you want your seed-beds to be.
The minimum tilling width of a rear tine tiller is about 18 inches. The standard range for most tillers is between 12 to 18 inches. A large tilling width allows the tiller to cover large areas of land quickly.
Rear Tine Tiller Safety Tips
- Wear safety goggles or glasses to protect your eyes from flying debris and dirt
- Do not use the till bare-foot. Make sure to wear shoes that grip the firmly ground
- Read the instruction manual before using the tiller and familiarize yourself with the controls and gears
- Stay away from the rotating tines and the tine shield
- If you need to clean the tines, make sure the machine is disconnected or switched off
- Use the machine carefully when digging around fences, buildings or pipes
When looking for a rear tine tiller, it is essential to get one that suits your garden. In this review, we have provided you with ten of the best rear tine tillers you can choose from. We have also incorporated answers to some of the questions that may be on your mind.
The 10 Best Rear Tine Tiller Are Reviewed Below
Below is a review of the ten best rear tine tiller available:
YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
The YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller works with a Briggs and Stratton engine that produces a rotational speed of about 190 rpm and an optimal torque of 9.50 ft-lbs that perfectly tills your garden regardless of the topography. It is designed to cultivate your ground as quickly and efficiently as possible.
This rear tine tiller can be maneuvered easily and handled stress-free with just one hand. Its handles are comfortable, making it convenient to use for long hours. Its tine is 18 inches wide, producing an incredibly broad coverage, and it also has 7 depth adjustments giving you full control of the tilling depth. It has a working depth of 6.5 inches, which is enough to cover more ground and save time.
It has a single-hand operation, which adds to its convenience by making it easy to stand and steer the rear tine tiller from side to side. Its tines are 13 inches and self-sharpening, making it easy to work on various soil types. Its front counterweight pneumatic wheels improve its balance and lets you handle the tiller with ease.
- Briggs & Stratton engine
- 9.50 ft-lbs gross torque
- 190 rpm(revolutions per minute)
- 18 inches wide rear tine
- 7 depth adjustments
- 6.5 inches working depth
- 13 inches self-sharpening tines
- 13 inches pneumatic wheels
- Brand: YARDMAX
- Model: YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 47 x 30 x 23 inches
- Weight: 238.1 pounds
- It is easy to handle with one hand
- It has self-sharpening blades
- Its pneumatic wheels make it well balanced
- It is easy to maneuver and move from side to side
- It has 7 depth adjustments
- It works perfectly on various soil types
- It is easy to set up
- Maintainance can be difficult
Earthquake Victory 29702 Rear Tine Tiller
The Earthquake Victory 29702 Rear Tine Tiller is an incredible tiller that works on a powerful four-stroke 196 cc engine that provides sufficient power to break even the hardest grounds. It is very affordable and features counter-rotating tines that don’t wear out quickly.
This durable tiller is easy to start, handle, and maneuver. It has forward and reverse options making and an ergonomic design handle that makes it convenient to be controlled and pushed back and forth. It has a tilling depth of 10 inches and a tilling width of 5.38 inches, which covers a large area of your garden and saves a lot of time. You can adjust the height of the tiller to 3 positions so you can control how deep you want your grounds to be plowed or cultivated.
This rear tine is designed to be compact, allowing it to fit into tight spaces with ease. It is built with cast iron and a gear drive transmission. Its tires are 5.38 inches wide and have a diameter of 13.5 inches; it is also air-less, providing maximum traction and flotation. The blades need to be cleaned frequently for maximum performance.
- Single-handed control
- Cast iron
- Bronze gear drive transmission
- Airless wheels
- 3 height adjustment
- 16 inches tilling depth
- Four-stroke 196 cc engine
- 13.5-inch wheel diameter
- Brand: EARTHQUAKE
- Model: Earthquake Victory 29702 Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 57.2 x 20.9 x 43.7 inches
- Weight: 172.6 pounds
- It is compact
- It is easy to maneuver
- Has 3 depth adjustment positions
- Its wheels are airless
- Has four-stroke engine
- It tires make it sturdy and balanced
- Its blades need to be cleaned frequently
Husqvarna CRT900L, 12.51cc Briggs & Stratton Rear-Tine Tiller
The Husqvarna brand is known to produce durable garden equipment. Its CRT900L Rear Tine Tiller doe not fall short of that reputation. It is durable and can be used for a very long time with little maintenance. It is a heavy-duty tiller that works with a powerful 12.51cc Briggs and Stratton engine. This engine is powerful enough to work on different types of topography or soil types. It has a tilling width of 17 inches allowing it to cover an extensive range quickly.
Its powerful engine provides an incredible torque of 9 ft-lbs that makes tilling stress-free. It features counter-rotating tines, making them ideal for cutting through muddy or rocky soil type with ease and less vibrations. Its handle is designed to make it comfortable to grip. Its sturdy and balanced design makes it easier to be pushed back and forth with its forward and reverse gears.
This Husqvarna rear tine tiller is easy to handle, easy to maneuver, and saves a lot of time. Its counterpoise wheels provide stability and make balanced. It is safe to use and gives you total control over the tiller.
- Briggs & Stratton 900 Series
- 12.51 cc OHV engine
- 17-inch tilling width
- Counter-rotating tines
- Forward and Reverse Gears
- Chain/Gear Transmission
- Brand: Husqvarna
- Model: Husqvarna CRT900L, 12.51cc Briggs & Stratton Rear-Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 48 x 24 x 35 inches
- Weight: 212 pounds
- It is heavy-duty
- Ideal for tilling hard grounds
- Has counter-rotating tines
- Its wheels improve its stability
- It is durable
- It is sturdy and well balanced
- Its has a small tilling-depth
Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 Gas Powered Rear Counter Rotating Tine Tiller
The Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 Rear Tine Tiller is a rotating tiller that works with a 208 cc gas engine that comes with a recoil start. Its 10-inch tines are made of steel and can handle various types of soils, including rocky terrains; they are also ideal for weeding and cultivating.
This heavy-duty tiller has counter-rotating tines that improve its efficiency, making it able to till very tough soil types. It is sturdy and easy to maneuver. With a tilling width of 14 inches and a tilling depth od 6-inches, this tiller can cover a large area in a short time. Its cutting width improves its torque and makes it ideal for weeding, cultivating, and working in a fertilized garden.
Despite its weight, it is easy to hand and move back and forth. Its pneumatic tires keep it well balanced and sturdy. Its handle makes it convenient to use for long hours. It also features a tine shield that protects you from flying debris when working on rocky grounds. This rotating tiller is affordable and features a bronze gear transmission that enhances its ability to work on dense soil.
- 208cc gas engine
- 10-inch rear steel stines
- Counter-rotating tines
- 14-inch tilling width
- 6-inch tilling depth
- Tine shield
- Brand: Craftsman
- Model: Craftsman CMXGVAM1144036 Gas Powered Rear Counter Rotating Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 48.13 x 22.75 x 25.75 inches
- Weight: 167.6 pounds
- Easy to maneuver
- It is very safe to use
- It features counter-rotating tines
- It can work with different soil types
- Very affordable
- Oiling the engine can be difficult
- It doesn’t have a reverse option
Troy-Bilt Pro-Line CRT10-Inch 160cc Honda GC160 Gas Powered Counter Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
The Troy-Bilt Pro-Line CRT10-Inch Rear Tine Tiller is a durable rotating tiller. It works with a very powerful four-cycle Honda GX150cc engine, which provides enough power to till very tough grounds. The engine operates quietly and conserves fuel. It features a durable cast-iron transmission system with a bronze gear drive which propels it backward and forward. It is very convenient and easy to handle for long hours. It operates smoothly and is ideal for tough or rocky grounds.
This rotating rear tine tiller can be handled with just one hand and is very easy to maneuver, leaving you with maximum control of the machine. It has a tilling width of 16 inches and a standard tilling depth of 6 inches; this ensures that it covers a large area in a short time. It also comes with a 17-inch bumper guard that protects you from debris and dirt.
It is designed with 10-inch bolo tines and blades which are forward rotating and operate just as good as the counter-rotating tines. Its 13 x 5-inch AG tires make it stable and well-grounded, it also improves its durability.
- 160cc Honda GC160 engine
- Cast-iron transmission
- Bronze gear drive
- 16-inch tilling width
- 6-inch tilling depth
- 17-inch tine shield
- 13 x 5-inch AG tires
- Brand: Troy-Bilt
- Model: Troy-Bilt Pro-Line CRT10-Inch 160cc Honda GC160 Gas Powered Counter Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 49.87 x 22.69 x 28.5 inches
- Weight: 171 pounds
- It is easy to maneuver
- Can be handled one-handedly for long hours
- Its transmission is durable
- It operates smoothly
- Features a bumper guard for protection
- Its cutting width and depth is enough to cover a wide area in a short time
- Has forward rotating tines
- It can’t handle tough ground
Husqvarna TR317D, 17 in. 208cc Rear-Tine Tiller
The Husqvarna TR317D rear tine tiller is an expensive but high-quality tiller. It works with dual-rotating rear tines that till various types of soil at a depth of 6.5 inches. It features forward and reverse gears that make it easy to move the machine back and forth. It is very easy to maneuver and handle. Its 208cc Husqvarna engine delivers a large amount of power and is very dependable.
Its transmission is sealed to ensure that it lasts long. Its engine delivers an incredible amount of power and is very dependable. It is designed with tire threads that provide superior traction. It is sturdy, well balanced, and provides you with a full range of control over the machine. It is ideal for both smooth and tough grounds and works incredibly on fertilized soils. It has large comfortable handles that make it convenient to move around and use for long hours.
This sturdy machine is also straightforward to set up. It may be expensive, but it is very reliable and will last for a very long time with little maintenance.
- Dual-rotating gear
- 6.5-inch tilling depth
- Forward and reverse gears
- 208c engine
- Sealed transmission
- Ture treads
- Brand: Husqvarna
- Model: Husqvarna TR317D, 17 in. 208cc Rear-Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 47 x 22 x 42 inches
- Weight: 190 pounds
- It features sealed transmissions to improve its durability
- It is easy to maneuver
- Its handle makes it comfortable to use for a long time
- It operates fast and efficiently
- It is sturdy and well-balanced
- It is expensive
Champion 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
The Champion 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller works with a 212cc engine that delivers enough torque to dig through different soil types. This engine provides maximum power to till tough grounds. With a tilling width of 19 inches and a tilling depth of 8 inches, this tiller can cover a large area of your garden in a short time. It features dual-rotating tines that smoothly plow and cultivates your garden.
This heavy-duty tiller features self-propelled agricultural tires that provide traction and make it easy to use with minimal effort. These tires also ensure its stability and make it well balanced on uneven terrain. Its tines are 13.8 inches and are made of steel, making it strong enough to dig through the most rigid soil types.
Its gear-driven transmission is protected by a heavy-duty cast-iron to ensure its longevity. It also comes with a very comfortable handle that makes it easy to control. You can use this tiller in both narrow and vast areas of your garden.
- 19-inch tilling width
- 8-inch tilling depth
- Heavy-duty cast-iron case
- 212cc engine
- 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires
- 13.8-inch steel tines
- Dual rotating tilling
- Brand: Champion
- Model: Champion 19-Inch Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 58.7 x 20.9 x 22 inches
- Weight: 160.9 pounds
- It is versatile
- It is easy to use and maneuver
- Its engine is powerful and provides a large amount of power
- It can handle various types of soil
- Easy to set up
- It requires effort to move it forward
- Needs frequent maintenance
Yard Machines 208cc Rear Tine Tiller
The Yard Machines 208cc Rear Tine Tiller is powered by a 208cc OHV engine that produces enough power to till small and medium sized gardens. Its tills at a width of 18 inches allowing it to plow a large area of your garden in a short time. Its tilling depth can be adjusted to dig to a maximum depth of 6 inches.
This tiller is designed with a loop and bail handle that can be adjusted for easy maneuvering and handling. Its handle is very comfortable to grip, allowing you to use the machine with just one hand for as long as you want. It is straightforward to use, and it operates with minimal vibrations. The height of the machine can also be adjusted to improve comfort when using it. It can be used in reverse mode to enhance its efficiency.
It smoothly separates various types of soil and operates very quietly with low vibrations. It also features 12-inch durable steel tines that can dig through the soil with ease and a 22-inch tine shield to cover the tines and protect debris. Its 13-inch wheels make it well balanced on uneven terrain.
- 208cc OHV engine
- 18-inch tilling width
- 6-inch adjustable tilling depth
- Handle height adjuster
- 12-inch durable steel tines
- 22-inch tine shield
- Brand: Yard Machines
- Model: Yard Machines 208cc Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 49.75 x 24 x 29 inches
- Weight: 185 pounds
- It is easy to assemble
- Powerful 208cc engine
- Its handle can be adjusted
- Cultivate various types of soil with little effort
- It is solid and powerful
- It requires frequent maintenance
Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
The Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller is a powerful heavy-duty tiller that works on a four-stroke OHV engine that provides enough power to plow hard on hard or uncultivated land. This powerful engine also provides a torque of 9.6lb-ft, which is enough to break thick soils. It is a very efficient rear tine tiller, durable, and operates quietly.
It features counter-rotating tines that are 11 inches wide, making it suitable to work in smaller spaces. These tines are self-sharpening, which means they don’t have to be removed to be sharpened or maintained. It is easy to control and has a forward and reverse gear drive system that improves its motility.
Its tires are pneumatic and 13 inches wide, making it well balanced and sturdy enough to work on rugged terrain. These tires also improve its portability, and its handle is very comfortable to grip, making it easier to control the tiller.
- 11-inch tine diameter
- 10-inch tilling depth
- Forward and reverse gear drive system
- Self-sharpening tines
- 13-inch pneumatic tires
- Brand: Southland
- Model: Southland SRTT196E Rear Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 44 x 120 x 18 inches
- Weight: 176 pounds
- Has powerful OHV engine
- It has pneumatic tires
- It is easy to maneuver and control
- Sturdy and well-balanced
- Ideal for small gardens
- It features counter-rotating tines
- Cannot be used on large gardens
- It doesn’t work well on uneven terrain
Poulan Pro PPCRT17, 17 in. 208cc Counter Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller
The Poulan Pro PPCRT17 Rear Tine Tiller is powered by a 208cc OHV engine which supplies enough power to dig through lands with overgrown weed. It features a heavy-duty chain drive transmission along with a power reverse option that lets you move the tiller forward and backward. Its split loop adjustable handle can be raised or lowered to suit the buyer’s needs; it also allows for one-handed handling of the tiller.
This rear tine tiller has 13 inches counter-rotating tines that can plow your garden to a depth of about 6 inches. It is easy to control can be used one-handedly for long hours. You can use it for both small and large jobs, and it separates uncultivated soil easily and quickly. It gives you full control of the depth and speed.
- 208cc LCT overhead valve engine
- 13-inch counter-rotating tines
- Heavy-duty chain drive transmission
- Power Reverse mode
- Split loop adjustable handle
- Brand: Poulan Pro
- Model: Poulan Pro PPCRT17, 17 in. 208cc Counter Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller
- Dimension: 48 x 23.5 x 32.88 inches
- Weight: 240 pounds
- It is easy to use
- Its handle can be raised or lowered
- Has a power reverse option
- It is difficult to maintain
- It can’t be used in small areas
Buying Guide Questions
There may be some questions on your mind about the types and utilization of rear tine tillers. We have provided you with answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about rear tine tillers.
Are rear tine tiller better?
Rear tine tillers are heavy-duty tillers that have their tines at the back of the machine. Their engines are stronger and they produce enough power to dig through densely packed soil and rocky grounds. They dig deeper than the front tine tillers and can cover a large area of land in a short time. They have additional features like adjustable height and reverse options that boost their efficiency and allow you to cover a large area of land with little or no effort.
What is the best rear tine tiller?
The best rear tine tiller is the YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller. It is powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine that produces a rotational speed of about 190 rpm and an optimal torque of 9.50 ft-lbs. It works perfectly with difficult soil types and overgrown gardens.
This tiller has self-sharpening tines that are about 18 inches wide, and it also has 7 depth adjustment. It can dig to a maximum depth of 6.5 inches, which is deep enough to plant your seeds and vegetables.
How deep can a rear tine tiller dig?
Rear tine tillers are designed for heavy-duty jobs. They have tines about 13 inches wide and can dig at a maximum depth of 8 inches.
Should I kill grass before tilling?
You can decide to kill your grass before tilling but try to keep the turf intact to facilitate the growth of new plants. If you choose not to kill your grass, a rear tine tiller can dig through your garden just as good as it tills land without grass. It is powerful enough to work on uncultivated land and land with overgrown gardens.
What is a rear tine tiller used for?
A rear tine tiller is a heavy-duty machine that is used when starting a large garden. It runs on a powerful engine that produces enough power to dig through hard or rocky ground and uncultivated pieces of land.
How much does it cost to rent a rear tine tiller?
This depends on the seller. You can rent a rear tine tiller at a hardware store for about $78.
Can you use a rear tine tiller on grass?
Yes, you can. A rear tine tiller has enough power to dig through a lawn with overgrown grass, and it digs through the soil just as good as those without grass.
What is a dual rotating rear tine tiller?
A dual rotating rear tine tiller features two rotation; the counter-rotating mode and the forward or standard rotating mode. It allows you to switch between these two tine rotating styles.
If you are about to start a garden, you need to aerate your lawn. This provides the soil with nutrients and oxygen to facilitate the growth of your fruits or vegetables.
Our top pick is the YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller. Its engine is quite powerful, and it produces a rotational speed of about 190 rpm and an optimal torque of 9.50 ft-lbs. It is perfect for a large area and tills your garden regardless of the topography.
If you find it challenging to choose the best rear tine tiller for your garden, you can choose from the ones listed above.