10 Best Lawn Sweepers in 2020
Everyone wants to have a beautiful and perfect lawn, and that is understandable, but this is a tough job as it requires regular maintenance, which can be time and energy-consuming. The physical energy mowing or cleaning a lawn requires one factor that discourages people from doing it. But, in recent times and thanks to the invention of lawn sweepers, the task of cleaning your lawn as become quite easy. There are a lot of tools involved in maintaining a lawn, and one very vital equipment is the lawn sweeper.
A Lawn sweeper is a piece of equipment used on a lawn to pick up debris, pines, acorns, fallen leaves, needles, sticks among others. Your lawn is probably one of the most active surfaces around your house, so you should understand the amount of work that needs to be put in to maintain it. Removing all the debris and unwanted materials from your lawn can be a stressful and ineffective task if it is done manually, so for the best result, it is advisable to use a lawn sweeper because they are more productive and save you time.
An advantage of lawnmowers is that they come in different varieties to suit your every need. With so many options available to pick from, three distinct features differentiate the other kind of lawnmowers. They are;
- Tow-Behind Lawn Sweepers: Just like the name suggests, this lawn sweeper is attached to the back of a moving lawn tractor. They are best suited for large lawns because they cover a large area of land in a short distance while removing a vast amount of debris in less time. They require a little bit of extra maintenance than the usual smaller versions, but they are worth it mainly if they are used on a large portion of the lawn. It is advisable to go for a universal Tow-Behind lawn sweeper so it can be attached to any vehicle or tractor.
- Push Forward Lawn Sweepers: The push forward lawn sweepers are mainly designed for smaller lawns like residential lawns. They are lightweight, compact and more modest in terms of size, which makes them easy to move around and handle. Even with the small size, they can still clean up your lawn pretty thoroughly, only that they require you to empty the bags on regular occasions as compared to the tow-behind lawn sweeper.
- Power Sweepers: These particular lawn sweepers are usually powered by electricity or gas. They can be used on more extensive clean up as compared to the push forward lawn sweeper, with added capacity. It requires less manual control and the power boost helps it move forward to clean the lawn. The size might be an issue, and it also creates a lot of dust while working, which is not safe and healthy.
The Best Lawn Sweepers Are Reviewed Below
There are a few factors which helped us make up our list, and they are,
Cost is an essential factor in selecting the best lawn sweeper because you won’t want to go outside your budget range. Try to put your desired needs to fit your budget and price won’t an issue because you are sure to find something that suits your needs and is within your budget.
Over time a couple of brands have established themselves as the leading manufactures in the lawn sweepers industry, so it is crucial you know which brand you are going for because your lawn sweeper is something you would use for an extended time. Checking the reviews is one great way of knowing what people who have purchased it are saying.
Just like every equipment, circumstances beyond your control can cause damage to it. Although the best brands guarantee the best products with the best quality, an extra bit of protection like a warranty would give you that extra safety required while purchasing any equipment.
Size of Lawn
Knowing the size of your lawn plays a considerable part in determining what type of lawn sweeper to go for. Using a tow-behind lawnmower on a small size lawn can be very ineffective and surely a waste of valuable resources because they are designed mainly for more extensive lawns. It is safe to say the size of your lawn is directly proportional to the type of lawn sweeper you would get.
Ease of operation
The primary aim of every machine is to make life easier for its uses while saving them a reasonable amount of time, and the lawn sweeper is no different. So you should go for something that you understand how to operate as that will save you’re the stress and time of studying the manual.
Some lawns require a large amount of cleaning to make them look beautiful and clean, but only the owner of the lawn is in the best position to determine that. It is best to always go with a lawn sweeper with more than one capacity.
Other factors may include the width, hitches and debris.
Since the market is packed with a lot of different products, a lot of research and review was carried out before we were able to come up with a list of our top lawn sweepers in 2021.
Yard Commander Lawn Sweeper
The Yard Commander Lawn Sweeper comes with a 42 inches tow behind it that makes it easy to add any attachment like UTV or ATV to be used to make your lawn duty easy and more efficient. This machine is recommended for large lawns. It is easy to use and very useful for sweeping off debris. It saves you time while also making your lawn look incredible. The Yard Commander Lawn Sweeper has a collapsable hopper which works effectively with the cross brush design attached to it. It gives different options in terms of attachments to be added, and it is also great on any terrain thanks a lot to its big wheels.
- The brush diameter is 10 inches
- Clearing width of 42 inches
- Rubber wheels of 10.5 inches
- Rust resistance
- Cross brush design
- Hopper bag
- 9 inches adjustment
- Hardware pack with blister card
- Brushes: 4 pieces
- Capacity: 77 pounds
- Manufacturer: YTL International
- Weight: 33 kg
- Dimension: 50.8*16.9*13 inches
- Clearing width: 42 inches
- The diameter of brush: 10 inches
- It cleans the lawn perfectly with its broad sweep, thereby saving you time and energy.
- It reduces manual energy
- Disposal of debris is easy
- It makes your garden look attractive when you are done
- It takes a while to assemble
- The weight is an issue and makes it difficult to move around.
Agri Fab Lawn Sweeper
Agri Fab Lawn Sweeper ensure free and easy movement of the machine with the help of the semi-pneumatic tires which it comes with. The four brushes attached to it makes cleaning through the debris quickly and efficiently, and it collects the debris in hopper bags before disposing of them. It has a large hopper bag that is almost twice the size of 2 bin baggers. The Agri Fab lawn has a unique design which makes cutting and sweeping possible at the same time. This lawn comes with a handle which makes dumping of the debris easy because you don’t have to dismount it. Storage of the device is easy as it is capable of shrinking to 30% of its original size.
- Lawn sweeper: 44 inches
- Universal attachable hitch
- Quick-release with spring loading
- Extra hopper bag
- Easy storage
- Dump lever
- Sweeper width: 44 inches
- Hopper size: 25 ft
- Wheels dimension: 12*13 inches
- Adjustable height
- Brushes: 4
- Dimension: 78*52*55 inches
- Weight: 92 pounds
- Manufacturer: Agri-Fab Inc
- It is universal. Therefore it can be attached with any tractor
- The steel lever makes emptying the debris look easy
- It can last for a long time with just the usual maintenance
- It can be used on almost any type of lawn
- It shrinks down to 30% of the actual size for safe storage.
- It is easy to empty the storage bag
- The holes in the sweeper are tiny and might require extra drilling
- The instructions to assemble the machine are difficult to understand and follow.
Earthwise Yard Sweeper
The Earthwise Yard sweeper comes with two brushes for each section with 21 inches. The height of the lawn sweeper can be adjusted with the brushes to suit the terrain it is to be used for. This lawn sweeper is highly recommended for small cleaning jobs because it is made for lightweight materials, so movement should not be an issue. It is easy to manoeuvre, and its push forward feature makes it easy and comfortable to use.
- Easy to manoeuvre
- Adjustable height feature
- Single motion sweeping
- Large collection bag
- Brushes: 2 in each section
- Dimension: 44*28*29.5 inches
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Manufacturer: American
- Lawn sweeper: 21 inches
- 2.6 inches collection bag
- Dial-in height adjustments
- It usually picks up at least 75% of the debris in the first trial.
- It fits any terrain because the height can be adjusted
- It is lightweight which aids secure movement across the lawn sweeper
- It can not be used to pick up some materials like nuts, wet debris, rocks and pinecones
- The brush height often needs adjustment depending on the lawn
Brinly Lawn Sweeper
The Brinly Lawn Sweeper is equipped to clean debris like grass clippings, pine needles, leaves e.t.c. Optimum performance is achieved by minimizing the skipping because it has a brush to ground ration that allows it to be possible. You can empty the bag without detaching it because it has an ergonomic t handle attached with a pull rope for this purpose. The six brushes attached to the lawn sweeper are working at high velocity, which makes it possible for it to pick up debris even when the tractor is turning. The material can be easily collapsed when you are done with it.
- Rope pull feature
- Ergonomic T handle
- Durable hamper
- Can collapse into an uptight feature
- Height adjustment settings
- Brushes: 6
- Hamper: 20 cubic feet
- Sweeper: 20 inches
- Lawn sweeper: 42 inches
- Brush to ground ratio: 5:1
- Dimension: 69*53*38 inches
- Weight: 80 pounds
- Manufacturer: Brinly Hardy
- It has High-velocity brushes with continuous sweeping
- It has a suitable ground to brush ratio
- Maximum efficiency
- It has a secure storage
- It gets damaged easily
- The material used to make it is huge
Joe Green Electric Scarifier And Lawn Detacher
The Joe Green Electric Scarifier And Lawn Detacher are powered by a robust motor which allows the lawn to breathe because of the motor attached to it. The color green was used on the body of this lawn sweeper which makes it attractive and fun to work with. The thatch pick up is maximized by an air boost technology, also attached are spring steel tines that are of excellent quality and can stay active for a long time. It cleans debris at a faster pace with high efficiency. The lawn sweeper starts instantly with the push of a button, but it has a safety switch to prevent it from starting accidentally. It is environmentally friendly because it doesn’t emit any toxic carbon gases.
- Wide path: 13 inches
- Depth control in five positions
- Air boost technology
- The collection bag is detachable
- Instant start
- Approved by ETL
- Steel strip tines
- Motor: 12 amp
- Weight: 27 pounds
- Dimension: 21*23*41 inches
- Manufacturer: Snow Joe
- Adjustable deck
- It has a wide sweep which makes it easy for debris to be cleaned faster
- The thach pick up is effective because it has steel strip tines
- Its part is durable and can last for a long period
- It is heavy if you compare it to other push forward lawn sweepers
- It is enormous and takes up a lot of space
Lawn Sweeper By Ohio Steel
Lawn sweepers by Ohio Stell are known for the high-quality products they offer. Just like it does with all lawn sweepers, it looks at removing debris from your lawn, while making it look beautiful and pleasant. It can be used to clean more extensive lawns as it can be attached to any tractor. Despite the large size of 50 inches, it is pretty easy to handle and takes little or no effort to assemble. The height can be easily adjusted with a sturdy make, and it can be used to pick up any type of debris.
- Adjustable height
- Easy handling
- Easy assembling
- Hitch adjustment in five positions
- Width: 42 inches
- Weight: 102 pounds
- Dimension: 57.5*17.5*12.5 inches
- Manufacturer: Ohio Steel
- It is easy to maintain
- It is easy to handle
- The user manual attached to the lawn sweeper is easy to understand and follow
- It is easy to assemble
- It has wide sweeper which saves you time
- It needs an ample storage space because of its huge size
- It is quite expensive compared to other lawn sweepers
Agri Fab Lawn Sweeper
Agri fab is known to produce high-quality products that are good and durable. The two semi-pneumatic tires attached to this 42 inches lawn sweeper enables it to move freely on the working surface. It can work in any condition no matter the season or weather condition, and it will still be handy. Its settings can be adjusted for easy usage, and it also has a tow-behind lawn sweep that is attachable to any tractor. The debris can be emptied without you having to detach the lawn sweeper from the tractor because it already comes with a lever for that purpose.
- 42 inches lawn sweeper
- Adjustment settings for brush height
- Universal hitch
- Collapsible hopper bag
- Easy storage
- Capacity: 12 cubic feet
- Brushes: 4
- Brush to Wheel ratio: 4.5:1
- Hopper size: 12 cubic feet
- Wheels: 11*2.5 inches
- Weight: 73 pounds
- Dimension: 50.75*22*15 inches
- Manufacturer: Agri-Fab
- It has a universally attachable hitch that can be attached to any riding mower or zero-turn mower
- It has a collapsible hopper bag which makes it easy to store
- It can be used to pick up all types of debris
- It has a reasonable size collection bag
- The quality is low compared to the usual standard
- The instruction manual is only in picture form, which makes it difficult to assemble.
Yardwise Push Lawn Sweeper
Just like the name says, this lawnmower is manually operated so it will have to be pushed around, but not to worry it is lightweight, so moving it around should be smooth and also helps in easy storage. Maximum performance can be guaranteed no matter the terrain because the height can be adjusted to fit any terrain. The hopper bag attached to it is large, so a considerable amount of debris can be collected before it can be disposed of. The 21 inches wide sweep ensures the efficient and maximum collection of debris as compared to others.
- Adjustable height
- Can be manoeuvred
- Easy storage
- Detachable hopper bag
- Hopper bag: 26 gallons
- Sweep path: 21 inches
- Power source- Hand-powered
- Dimension: 44*30*28 inches
- Weight: 12 pounds
- Manufacturer: American Lawn Mower Company
- It is great for most terrains
- The height can be adjusted
- It can collect a large quantity of debris in one go
- It can be easily stored
- It can be easily manoeuvred
- The bag is not so useful because it is out of line
- It can not be used on low grass even if the height is adjusted
Ohio Steel Lawn Sweeper
Ohio Steel is known for making great garden tools and equipment which can be used with ease to maintain your lawn, with the primary aim and value of the company been that all their pieces of equipment are easy to handle and use without any stress. The 42 inches lawn sweeper is no difference as the core values are traits that have been embedded in it. It works on large lawns and is very useful within a shorter period. Its sturdy and substantial model ensures excellent efficiency.
- Easy handling
- Great structure
- Great maintenance
- Sweeper: 42 inches
- Dimension: 51*18*16 inches
- Weight: 95 pounds
- Manufacturer: Ohio Steel
- It is easy to use and handle
- It can be easily be maintained
- The wide sweep capabilities save energy and time
- It is difficult to store
- It has a huge size
- The tools attached to it are quite heavy
Agri Fab Push Lawn Sweeper
The Agri-Fab push lawn sweeper has a seven cubic feet capacity for holding debris and 26 inches width for the sweeper, and the debris can be easily disposed of. It’s lightweight, and natural material which it is made of makes it easy to manoeuvre and move around with the two poly tires attached to it for comfortable working on the lawn. It can pick up almost any debris while four brushes perform sweeping.
- Width of Sweeper: 26 inches
- Brushes for sweeps: 4
- Poly wheels: 2
- Easy disposal of debris with an adjustable lawn sweeper
- Suitable for any season
- Collapsible hooper bag
- Hopper capacity: 7 cubic feet
- Dimension: 52.5*31*33 inches
- Weight: 25 pounds
- Wheels: 9.75*2.25 inches
- Brush to wheel ratio: 4.5:1
- Manufacturer: Agri-Fab
- It is lightweight
- It can be easily manoeuvred
- It makes dumping of debris easy
- The hopper bag capacity is small compared to others
- It uses plastic which is not good
- It needs some assembling before it can be operational
Buying Guide Questions
While you have gone through the list above, it is only reasonable that you have some questions you would like answered before you can make your final decision. While we can not know all the questions, with our extensive research and reviews. We were able to come up with a list of frequently asked questions. Below is a list of some frequently asked question and we have answered them to help you gain a better understanding and calm your nerves.
What is a lawn sweeper used for? Can you use a lawn sweeper with a zero turn mower?
The use of lawn sweepers rose astronomically in the 20th century, but still, there are some unclear understanding of its use. A lawn sweeper or leaf sweeper like some call it, is a mechanically operated toll can be used on a garden for the removal of debris such as pine needles, leaves, litter, twigs and others from lawns or another area.
YES, you can use lawn sweeper with a zero-turn mower. It makes cutting your lawn fun and quick, but it takes a while to master. In the beginning, it might seem challenging to use, but with patience and practice, you will be able to avoid tress and other obstacles like a pro. The most challenging part of operating a lawn sweeper with zero turn mower is trying to prevent tearing your lawn while trying to make tight turns. But there a few easy steps to achieving that and they are,
Try practising around your lawn: You can start by making a straight line of two to three laps around the area of your lawn. In other to turn in the opposite direction, all you need to do is push one control lever father than the other.
Always mow in straight rows: Once you are capable of driving in straight lines and making smooth turns, go to the end of the lawn and create a straight line cut. Keep repeating this process until you have reached the opposite end of your lawn.
Practice making a three-point turn: This procedure aims to move backwards and forward instead of spinning in a small circle.
Are lawn sweepers worth it? What size lawn sweeper do I need?
Going by the reviews and feedback gotten from people who have been using lawn sweepers or beginners, YES, it is worth every penny. For individuals or organizations that have a large yard and don’t like the usual physical cleaning, then a lawn sweeper should be your first choice. It saves you a lot of time and energy. Lawn sweepers can be used to pick up debris like pine needles and leaves, and also manage pine activities. It is essential to know that lawn sweepers can not and should not be used to pick on more significant objects like sticks and branches.
There are few criteria to be considered before knowing the size of lawn sweeper that is best suited for your lawn. Some criteria include the size of your lawn, the level of your lawn, the width of the hooper you want, the width of the sweeper and the type of hitch that connects the sweeper to the vehicle. If you consider all this, you will find the best lawn sweeper for you.
Do tow behind lawn sweepers work? What is the best tow behind sweeper?
YES. Tow behind lawn sweepers are very useful and save you a lot of time and energy. When a tow-behind lawn sweeper is attached to a tractor or lawnmower, it helps in collecting more debris in a shorter period, and you don’t have to worry about emptying it frequently because the collection bin is large enough.
There are various types of tow-behind sweepers manufactured to suit your every need. But if we are to make a choice, then the Yard Commander Lawn Sweeper would be our first choice.
Which is better lawn sweeper or bagger? Does a lawn sweeper Dethatch?
The occasion depends on which one you are to choose, if you use a bagger or lawn sweeper on wet grasses, it will affect them. But, if you are persistent on cleaning the lawn, then a lawn sweeper is highly recommended because they don’t get clogged easily unlike the baggers.
YES, a lawn sweeper can dethatch. A perfect example is the Brinly STS-42BHDK.
Do lawn sweepers pick up grass clippings? Will a lawn sweeper pick up thatch?
YES. A lawn sweeper can be used to pick on grass clippings, but also twigs, leaves and other debris from your lawn.
A lawn sweeper will pick up thatch depending on the brush-to-ground ratio. So it is safe to say that almost all sweeper can pick up thatch.
Will a lawn sweeper pick up acorns? Will acorns hurt my lawn?
A lawn sweeper will only pick up acorns if they are attached to a riding mower. They use suction while acting as a leaf vacuum to pick up acorns and debris.
Acors are nuts fallen from an oak tree which contains a seed or more. Some animals can eat acorns like squirrels, mice e.t.c. Acorns don’t have a specific danger to your lawn, although if they are gathered in large quantities at a particular spot for an extended period, they could cause a bald spot in that area. Most times, acorns are usually picked up by squirrels as food, or they can be picked up by the lawnmower, and left to decompose before been returned to the soil as nutrients.
Above, is our list of best lawn sweepers in 2021. After going through the above list, we hope you find something that suits your needs. Although we have done our part and the final decision is up to you. Proper research of the reviews and specifications can help make your decision smoother and faster. A lawn sweeper prevents you from having too many extra tools in your garage, and that is great because it helps you free up space for other things. You might decide your lawn doesn’t need a lawn sweeper, but if you are tired of the physical stress and time it takes to clean your lawn manually, you will decide to get a lawn sweeper. A good lawn sweeper saves you a lot of energy and time. We hope you find this list helpful and it acts as a guide in helping you make your final decision about the sweeper for your lawn.