10 Best Lawn Mowers For Hills in 2020
Mowing hills can be challenging especially if you have to push the lawn mower up and down a hill. Removing grass from a large expanse of land using a push mower can be a lot of physical work, and no one wants to do that under the heat of the sun. If you are someone that doesn’t like the stress that comes with using a push mower, then its time you invest in a riding lawn mower or a self-propelling lawn mower.
Riding mowers are faster than hand mowers. Riding mowers are powered mowers that do not require you to push around. They do not require any physical effort, and they are great for cutting large expanse of land. Some riding mowers have big decks for cutting and this reduces the time required to cut grass. You have to be ready to spend a good sum of money to purchase a riding lawn mower.
Self-propelled lawn mowers work by engaging a speed control lever that makes the mower to move forward. The user does not have to push the lawn mower physically, you just have to walk behind it and guide it around the yard. They come in front, rear and all-wheel drive.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN PURCHASING A LAWN MOWER FOR HILLS
Before going to the market and purchasing a lawn mower, there are some factors you will need to consider when purchasing a lawn mower for hills; they will help you choose the right lawn mower for your needs. Hills require a lot of power and traction, so you need to purchase a lawn mower that can climb the steepest of hills. These factors include:
YARD SIZE: if you have a large yard, then you should purchase a riding lawn mower, as it will help you reduce the options before making a choice. Your yard types influence the type of mower you will get. Thoroughly examine your yard before buying a mower. The steepness of your yard will also influence the power of the lawn mower you purchase.
TYPE OF TERRAIN: There are different terrain types, and for every terrain, there is a suitable lawn mower. You need to study the kind of terrain you have. The common types of terrain are flat, sloppy, flats with steep hills.
WEIGHT: The weight of the lawn mower is important. If you are thinking of purchasing a self-propelled lawn mower, then make sure it isn’t bulky. The lawn mower will move with great speed due to gravitational pull, and you will have to use extra strength to pull it up the hill. For riding lawn mowers, you should be ready to spend extra cash on the fuel. When using a riding lawn mower in hilly zones, the fuel efficiency drops. For a better grip of the mower, the weight should be higher. There should be a balance between power and weight; you need a lawn mower that meets these requirements.
WHEEL DRIVE OPERATION: There are two types of wheel drive operations, the ones with all-wheel drive and the ones with rear-wheel drive. The type of wheel operation you choose depends on if your lawn has dense grass or if you have muddy soil in your lawn. If you do, then the all-wheel drive will be the best option for you. But if you have a dry lawn all year round with soft grass, then the rear-wheel drive will be ideal for you. Both have varying efficiency and motors.
TURNING: No matter the type of terrain you have, maneuverability is important. Turning on a slope can be difficult, so it is important to consider how much space you will have to turn while mowing. If you want to learn about the turning radius of a mower, then you can read product descriptions and user reviews.
THE WIDTH OF THE BLADE DECK: the model of the lawn mower determines the width of the blade’s deck and blade type. The size of the blade deck depends on the breadth and length of your lawn. If you have a small lawn, then a small deck will be best. But if you have a large lawn, then you should go with a large deck width. Ensure you pay attention to the type of blades and if they are exposed or not. If you have a lawn that has a lot of gravels, then a covered deck will be best. For medium-sized lawns, the ideal deck width will be between 35 to 50 inches.
FUNCTIONALITIES AND FEATURES: Different models of lawn mowers have different features. A lawn mower with cruise control is best for sloppy hills because you do not have to press the lever for an extended period while cutting the lawn.
ENGINE POWER: A powerful engine is important for you to climb a hill while moving. A lot of force is required when moving upwards, and because of this, the engine has to have sufficient power. Mowers with powerful engines have greater grass cutting performances and also speed. But their fuel economy is poor. Also, it is important to purchase a lawn mower with that has a durable engine, or you will end up with an engine that needs frequent maintenance.
ENGINE SIZE: Because you are going uphill, your mower will be working against gravity. As a result, you need a powerful motor to do the job. Engine sizes range from 190 to 800 cc, that is a lot to choose from. The size and slope of your yard will help determine the engine power you need. There are other things to consider when it comes to the engine, such as an efficient oil filtering system and a cooling system, as they will determine the durability of the engine.
FUEL: Landscapers usually stick to diesel engine machine because they have better torque and are easy to maintain. It might seem like petrol is a cheaper option, but in the long run, petrol engines are more expensive.
SIZE: Riding lawn mowers come in different sizes, some are small, and some are large, both with their advantages and disadvantages. Large lawn mowers can cut more grass in a short time, but they are quite pricey and also turning a large mower can be difficult. Small mowers are easily maneuvered, but they have a low cutting efficiency.
TRANSMISSION: The purpose of the transmission is to send power from the engine to the wheels. There are two types, manual and automatic. The manual is affordable and more reliable, but it can be stressful to keep changing gears, and you will have to do this if you are mowing a steep hill. The automatic transmissions have no gear sifter or a clutch; the mower itself performs the changing of gear, all you need to do is steer it and control its speed.
ADJUSTABLE CUTTING SYSTEM: Majority of lawn mowers will allow you to pick the height of the cutting feature, to let you cut any grass type without any stress. Other mowers require you to change the blades quickly, thereby adjusting the size of the cutting area. This allows you to use a wider cutter to mow large expanses of land and a smaller cutter for narrow spaces.
MAINTENANCE: Choosing an efficient engine is important; it helps you get rid of waste products easily and quickly. The lawn mower should come with safety features to ensure the engine always stays in good conditions. Some mowers come with low maintenance as their selling point, and they are great choices.
SAFETY AND COMFORT: Riding lawn mowers have a higher chance of causing injuries then self-propelled lawn mowers. That is why they come equipped with safety features. Riding lawn mowers have an arrangement of seat belts to prevent falling. They also need to come with headlights so that it can be safely used in areas with low lighting. The seat of the riding lawn mower should also be comfortable because you will be seating at a place for an extended period.
Choosing the ideal lawn mower for hills can be difficult for both novices and pros. We have brought to you this comprehensive guide that has a detailed comparison between some of the best lawn mowers for hills and also highlighting their pros and cons.
Let’s get started.
The Best Lawn Mowers For Hills Are Reviewed Below
Different manufacturers produce varying models of both riding lawn mowers and self-propelled lawn mowers. We have done our research and have come up with this list. This review guide will help you choose the best lawn mowers for hills that will suit your needs.
Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
The Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower is one of the best for steep hills. It is well balanced and excels in all areas. It is great for medium-sized landscapes and standard landowners. It features a six-speed gearbox that lets you change the gears continuously depending on the terrain. This lawn mower can cut grass finely with a single move. It is lightweight and is smaller than other riding lawn mowers, but it has equal performance as its larger counterparts, it is easy to store because of its small size and maneuvering is also easier. The body of this mower is made from steel which makes it durable; all its parts are in-built and remain inside it. It has a single-cylinder Troy-Bilt 382cc auto choke OHV engine that can reach a top speed of 7km/hr (4.25 mph) and a 6-speed transmission. It has 13-inch wheels that can turn 18 inches of the radius. It features a 30-inch cutting deck and a fuel capacity of a 1.3-gallon tank with a sight window that allows you to check the level of the gas. It has five different adjustable settings with a manual power take-off, and they all offer uniform cuts with great consistency. The height of the grass determines the setting to be used.
It features a steering wheel that mimics the riding style of a small car, and it also has a padded seat that is comfortable even when riding at high speeds.
- A 382cc auto choke OHV engine
- 30-inch cutting deck
- Fuel tank capacity of 1.3 gallon
- Five height-adjustable blade
- Manual power for take-off
- 6-speed transmission motor
- Top speed of 4.25 mph
- 18-inch turning radius
- Brand: Troy-Bilt
- Model: Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
- Weight: 335 pounds
- Dimensions: 62 * 34 * 26 inches
- Color: Red and Black
- It is quite affordable for a riding lawn mower
- Its steel body makes it durable
- It is easy to maneuver
- It requires little maintenance
- It features a mid-back seat for extra comfort
- Its wheels are durable and last longer than others
- Its small size makes it easy to store in a shed or garage
- It is easy to ride
- It has a padded steering wheel for comfort
- Its deck is detachable which makes it easy to clean
- Its height adjustment and paring brake features make it premium
- Its footrest is made of plastic and may cause slipping
- It is quite difficult to assemble
- It is not suitable for extremely steep slopes
- Its warranty does not cover the essential damages
Husqvarna Continuously Variable Transmission Riding Mower
The Husqvarna Riding Mower has a continuous variable transmission. It features a pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission system, and by pressing the pedal, you can vary the speed of the mower continuously. This means you do not have to shift gears and you can enjoy a stress-free transmission.
This mower features a cutting blade that can cut grass as tall as 4 inches. Mowing of grass can be done in six steps. It has anti-scalping wheels which provide you with enough clearance to prevent damage to your mower and the terrain. Its wheels have an 18-inch turning radius that allows you to navigate through narrow spaces. The blades cut grass evenly even on rough terrains. It uses a key ignition system that differs from the traditional pull cord system; with this, no physical effort is needed to start the mower.
It features an induction air technology that improves airflow and ensures quick cleaning. This mower also allows for accessories to be attached behind it, such as a mulching kit. It has a cutting height adjuster and a height-adjustable seat for comfort. Its front wheels are smaller than its rear wheels, and this greatly improves its traction.
- 18-inch turning radius
- A pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission system
- Anti-scalping wheels
- A key ignition system
- Induction air cleaning technology
- Adjustable cutting height
- A fender mounted deck
- Deck wash port
- 3 year limited warranty
- Brand: Husqvarna
- Model: Husqvarna Continuously Variable Transmission Riding Mower
- Weight: 588 pounds
- Dimensions: 73 * 49.5 * 48 inches
- Color: Orange
- It features a pedal-operated speed control
- It has adjustable seats and deluxe steering wheel for added comfort
- Its air induction technology allows it to remain stable in cutting grass
- You can add attachments and accessories
- It uses a key start ignition
- It has a powerful motor that produces great power
- It features durable and reliable tires
- It is compact so that it can be easily stored
- It has a charging port in the mower
- It has a choke less start
- Its plastic mudguards can easily be broken
- Some users have complained about its maintenance difficulty
- It doesn’t come with free attachments
Raven Mpv7100 Hybrid
The Raven MPV7100 Hybrid Riding Lawnmower use gas and electric hybrid technology, which increases its performance. It consists of a 420cc gasoline-powered engine that powers the generator and the 7100-watt generator sends power to the blades, the outlets and also charge the batteries. It has a 46-inch removable fabricated deck that is made for enhanced mulch, vacuum and discharge. It has a 14-inch turning radius that allows it to maneuver any sharp turns easily, it has a storage bed for transporting supplies to your worksite and has a towing capacity of 550 lb. The weight of this mower provides great grip when moving downhill.
- 420 cc gasoline-powered engine
- 7100-watt generator
- 46 inches removable fabricated deck
- The transport speed of 17 mpg for both gas and electric
- 14 inches turning radius
- Storage bed
- 550 lb towing capacity
- Brand: Raven
- Model: Raven MPV7100 Hybrid Riding Lawnmower
- Weight: 870 pounds
- Dimensions: 85 * 44 * 50 inches
- Color: Red and Black
- This mower can be used as a mower, a multi-purpose vehicle and also a generator
- It features a front off-road style suspension and shocks
- There is an issue with the availability of spare parts and service centers for this mower.
Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Mower
The Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Mower has a 42 inch deck which makes it capable of cutting grass in the shortest time possible. It is best used in residential areas. It has a 547cc engine with a turning radius of 18 inches that allows you to move freely and maneuver through the smallest of areas. This allows you to cut grass at every area of the land.
It uses a 7-transmission system that offers a variety of the speed. Its gear ratio is good enough to climb steep hills and cut the grass. It possesses a sturdy body and a tough build, which makes it durable for almost every terrain. Its front wheel axle allows it to survive a long time without maintenance.
- 547 cc engine
- Seven-speed transmission
- 42-inch steel deck
- Mulch and side discharge
- Steel front axle
- Mow in reverse
- Mid-back steel
- Brand: Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Mower
- Model: Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Mower
- Weight: 485 pounds
- Dimensions: 70 * 48 * 35.5 inches
- Color: Red and Black
- It has an integrated deck washing system
- It has a 54-inch side discharge deck
- Its large 42 inches deck allows you to quickly and easily cut grass
- It has an electric start system
- It has some problems with its transmission shifter
Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52
The Ariens 915223 IKON-X Zero Turn Mower is made specially to thrive in the dirtiest of conditions. It has 13 adjustable cutting heights with ¼ inches increments for the perfect cut, and you can also adjust the cutting height from 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches by just turning a dial. It features a four-point dual-arm hanging system that prevents excessive movement of the deck. Its full tubular 3-inch frame reduces chassis flex which in turn increases cut quality and maneuverability.
- 13 optional cutting heights with ¼ inches increments
- 4-point dual-arm hanging system
- Tubular 3-inch frame
- Adjustable armrest
- Full pressure lubrication system
- Brand: Ariens
- Model: Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
- Weight: 635 pounds
- Dimensions: 77.5 * 63.4 * 40.9 inches
- Color: Orange and Black
- The seat of this mower is made to provide support and added comfort; you can also adjust the armrest in three different directions
- It features a full pressure lubrication system with a full-flow filter
- It has no headlights or backlights which makes working within low light areas difficult
Husqvarna MZ61, 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower
The Husqvarna MZ61 Briggs & Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower is commonly recognized as a commercial lawn mowing machine. Its endurance series motors produce 27 horsepower that helps in cutting grass in every direction whether it’s against the slope or in the direction of the slope. The entire mower is made from 11 high-end gauge steel which makes it durable. The bottom of the mower is also reinforced for added durability because hilly terrains are uneven and have rough edges. The aluminum spindles are easily accessible, and you have the option to grease them. It has a plastic-built side chute that provides you with 12 cutting height features that can be used with the help of a foot pedal.
All the controls are found at the operator’s seat, including the hour meter. Its seats are made from vinyl material, and it also has an armrest function with a cup and bottle holder. It uses a commercial-grade ZT 3100 transmission which allows the mower to reach a top speed of 8 mph. it features 6-inch front wheels and larger rear wheels for the right balance and traction control.
- Commercial grade ZT 3100 transmission
- Top speed of 8 mph
- 6-inch front wheels
- 27 horsepower Briggs endurance engine
- 111-gauge high-end steel
- Aluminum spindles
- 12 cutting height features
- 61-inch zero turn mower
- Brand: Husqvarna
- Model: Husqvarna MZ61
- Weight: 770 pounds
- Dimensions: 75.5 * 76 * 42 inches
- Color: Orange
- It is easy to operate
- It is comfortable for an extended period of work
- It has a strong and reliable motor
- It has great controls, and its zero-turn feature makes mowing easy
- Its 61-inch cutting deck can cut grass over a large area in a single move
- It is on the expensive side
- Beginners need practice before handling the mower
- It needs regular maintenance
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series
The Cub Cadet XT1 features comfort, versatility and strength. It comes with an 18 HP Kohler OHV engine for excellent performance and a hydrostatic transmission for a smooth operation that removes the stress of shifting gears. It has a 42-inch deck and a turning radius of 16 inches; this allows the mower to maneuver through any narrow spot.
- 18 HP Kohler OHV engine
- Hydrostatic transmission
- 42-inch cutting deck
- 16-inch turning radius
- Brand: Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series
- Model: Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series
- Weight: 580 pounds
- Dimensions: 52 * 67 * 42 inches
- Color: Yellow and Black
- It has a variety of accessories available for purchase
- It gives you a clean cut regardless of the height and texture of the grass
- Its hydrostatic transmission allows you to control the speed level with one pedal
- It eliminates gear shifting
- It has springs under its seat, and they can be bouncy
- It has jammed steering; it takes effort to turn the wheel properly
TROY-BILT WC33 420CC 33-INCH WIDE CUT RWD LAWN MOWER WITH ELECTRIC START
The Troy-Bilt WC33 is extremely powerful. It is a heavy-duty self-propelled lawn mower that features four rear-wheel-drive forward speeds and also reverse and neutral options. It has a 33-inch twin-blade cutting deck with a heavy body and great controls such as a zero-turn capability. It comes with other features such as a deck wash, electric start and great durability.
- 420cc OHV engine
- 4 rear-wheel drive forward speeds
- 33-inch cutting deck
- Zero-turn capability
- Easy electric start
- Brand: TROY-BILT
- Model: TROY-BILT WC33
- Weight: 323 pounds
- Dimensions: 57.25 * 39 * 34.5 inches
- Color: Black
- It is easy to use
- Its 33-inch cutting deck makes quick work of large lawns
- It has a high performance with any type of grass
- Its huge wheels increase its traction which makes it great for any terrain
- The bag is sold separately
HONDA 662340 WALK BEHIND MOWER
This mower is from the Honda HRX series. It comes with a GVC200 engine with an excellent build and a 4 in 1 Versamow system. It has an electric start with a hydrostatic transmission. It has a set of large wheels and great driving power and speed. It uses no effort and will deliver perfect results.
- Honda GCV200 200cc engine
- 21-inch Nexite deck
- Electric start
- MicroCut twin blades
- Automatic choke
- Versamow 4 in 1 system
- Roto-Stop blade system
- Rechargeable battery
- Brand: HONDA
- Model: HONDA 662340 WALK BEHIND MOWER
- Weight: 106 pounds
- Dimensions: 65.6 * 21 * 44 inches
- Color: Black and Red
- It has a flawless performance
- It has a powerful engine
- It is durable
- Easy electric start
- The Roto-Stop blade system allows you to step away without having to turn the mower off and on
Greenworks 40V 20-Inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower
The Greenworks Twin Force Lawn Mower has attractive features which include a dual battery port where you can plug to batteries at the same time, and it will automatically become the backup battery when the primary battery is dead. It can mow for about 70 to 75 minutes without any interruption. It has a 20-inch cutting deck with five adjustable height positions. It is not a self-propelling mower, but it is lightweight, which makes pushing it easy.
- Dual battery port
- 70 to 75 minutes of work time
- 20-inch cutting deck
- Five adjustable height positions
- Brand: Greenworks
- Model: Greenworks 40V 20-Inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower
- Weight: 42.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 29.2 * 20.66 * 19.5 inches
- Color: Green and Black
- It has an amazing run time
- It is powerful
- It has an easy push start
- It comes with double blades
- Its mulching power is not very good
Buying Guide Questions
What kind of mower is best for hills? What is the best lawn mower for slopes?
Riding mowers and self-propelled mowers are the best for mowing hills. They have the power and traction needed to mow hills and slopes.
What is the best push mower for hills? What is the best self-propelled lawn mower for hills?
We choose the Greenworks 40V 20 inch cordless Twin Force Lawn mower as the best push mower for hills. It has incredible power and is lightweight enough to be pushed up and down a hill.
The TROY-BILT WC33 is the best self-propelled lawn mower, it has incredible power, and you don’t have to worry about pushing.
Why are zero turns bad on hills? Can riding mowers go up hills?
Zero-turn mowers use their rear wheels for steering, so if you enter a slope with poor steering, then it could cause the machine to roll over.
It is best to use riding mowers in slightly steep hills. If you use a riding mower on a much steeper hill, then it would probably fall off.
How do you mow really steep hills?
This video explains it well and there are definitely a few tricks to learn!
How steep is a 15-degree slope?
A 15-degree slope is approximately 8.5 degrees downhill and is termed a strong slope.
How steep is a 10-degree incline?
Steep slopes are usually defined as a hillside having a 15-foot rise over a 100 feet horizontal run. A 10-degree incline is slightly higher than a standard treadmill.
Now that you know all the factors to consider before purchasing a lawn mower for hills, you can go ahead and choose the lawn mower that best suits your needs and budget. These mowers play an important role in the survival of your lawn.